The game can be downloaded for free at www.liesandseductions.com or get with the Character-Driven Game Design. OSX and Windows versions available. Works also in Linux via Wine.
Lies and Seductions is a single player game about seduction, lies, and betrayal.
Are you able to guide Abby to seduce a rock star, Chris, promised to stay virgin untill marriage? In order to success you need to gather dirty little secrets, use those secrets in your advantage, and make an impression on Chris.
four seduceable characters
flirt, mislied, eavesdrop, and pump information
persuade characters to help you to reach the goal
play Texas hold’em poker
dance to impress
non-player characters forms opionnions based on your choices they perceive
three different endings
Character-Driven Game Design: A Design Approach and Its Bases In Character Engagement
In the Character-Driven Game Design, Petri Lankoski presents a theory that illuminates how game characters contribute to shaping the playing experience. Based on this theory he provides design tools for character-based games which utilize methods and theories derived from dramatic writing and game research.
“The use of Lajos Egri’s bone structure for a three dimensional-character and of Murray Smith’s three levels of imaginative engagement with characters allows the candidate to expose the full complexity of the imaginary persons represented and controlled in a single-player game. What makes his design-center approach even more interesting is that gameplay is an integral part of it.”
Bernard Perron, Associate Professor, Université de Montréal
“Lankoski does a great job laying out the theory of primary interest to him, and making the case for the need to tether character design to game design more tightly than has been the case in the past. Certainly, too, putting attention to social networks of characters and finding useful design patterns to guide this level of game design is also of great value, and underexplored in the field.”
Katherine Isbister, Associate Professor, Polytechnic Institute of New York University
List of Publications
– Characters as Facilitators of the Playing Experience?
– The Context of This Study
– Game Design
– Game Research
– Cognitive Sciences and Film Studies drawing on Cognitive Sciences
– Dramatic Writing for Theatre and Film
– Qualitative Analysis
– Gameplay Design Patterns
– Structure of This Thesis
– Understanding Other People
– Mimicry and Empathy
– Person Schema
– Player Characters
Game and Gameplay Design
– Game Design Approaches
– Game Design and Character Design
– Missing Link: From Character Design to Gameplay Design
Character Engagement and Game Design
– Characters in Computer Games: Toward Understanding Interpretation and Design
– Player Character Engagement in Computer Games
– Gameplay Design Patterns for Believable Non-Player Characters
– Gameplay Design Patterns for Social Networks and Conflicts
– Lies and Seductions
– Character-Driven Game Design: Characters, Conflict, and Gameplay