Something Jussi Holopainen and I have been working on: Lankoski, P. and Holopainen, J. forthcoming. Game design research: An Introduction to Theory & practice. ETC Press.
EDIT: the book is out. More in the post Game design research: An overview.
Table of contents of the book:
- Game design research: An overview / Petri Lankoski and Jussi Holopainen
- Epistemological underpinnings of game design research / Laureline Chiapello
- Multidisciplinary game design research: Ontologies and other remarks / Annakaisa Kultima
- De-coding games through historical research in art and design / Christopher W. Totten
- Investigating game design methods and models / Joris Dormans and Jussi Holopainen
- Games design research through game design practice / Paul Coulton and Alan Hook
- Game design mise-en-scène practice: Intention and means in JEU SERAI / Emmanuel Guardiola and Stéphane Natkin
- Gaps of uncertainty: A case for experimentation in serious game design frameworks / Niels Quinten, Steven Malliet and Karin Coninx
- Experimental game design / Annika Waern and Jon Back
- Going indie: Methods for understanding indie production / Alyea Sandovar
- Critical practices in game design / Jess Marcotte and Rilla Khaled